Do click 'Older Posts' at the bottom to browse through more of our goods.

July 29, 2012

Fed up of manly baggy Tees?

Here's how you can alter them.
If you want to shorten the sleeves
1. Turn the shirt inside out and lay a shirt that DOES fit you on top of it, lining up the collars so that you can be sure it is centered over your large t-shirt.
2. Trace the shirt that DOES fit you onto the large t-shirt. Turn both shirts inside out so that you don't mark on the front of the shirts. I used a sharpie, but you'd be better off to use a washable marker, chalk or a fabric pen.  When you do the sleeves, try to make your line parallel to the top shoulder.
3 & 4. Next, fold the large t-shirt in half to make sure that the armpit marks line up. Mine did match up, but if yours don't, you can just re-mark them to match.
5. I went ahead and pinned the front and back of the shirt together, so that it didn't slip while we were sewing.
6. Sew along your traced lines. Or, in my case, have your MOM sew along the traced lines. :)
7. Try on your shirt (inside out) to see how it fits.  Mine was still a little big, so we sewed it up again about a 1/4" more on each side.
8 & 9. If you like the fit, then you can trim off the excess fabric.
10. Turn the shirt right-side out and try it on. You can leave it as is, with longer sleeves, or you can cut & hem them - which is what I decided to do.
11. While I was wearing the shirt, I marked with a pin the length I wanted the sleeves to be.  Then I took it off, turned it inside out again and drew a line. Okay, two lines, because I remembered that I wanted to angle the sleeve a little bit. Then I cut about 5/8" past the line (to allow for a hem).
12. Try it on and make sure it looks the way you want it to look.
13. Fold the shirt in half and cut the other sleeve to match.
14. Hem both sleeves.
15. You're done! Try it on & love the new look - preferably with cute jeans...not gym shorts and bright blue fingernails. :) But hey...we don't all do our crafting while looking our best, right?


http://www.andreasteed.com/node/1266

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.